As an experienced trial attorney, Travis Gemoets represents management in all facets of labor and employment law, including claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, wage/hour class actions, trade secrets, unfair competition, union/management relations and workplace violence. He is a member of JMBM's Global Hospitality Group®.
Travis advises employers nationwide on these areas as well as on disability and religious accommodation, protected absences, personnel policies and handbooks, employee discipline and discharge, and labor relations. He lectures and consults in these areas and on other employment-related matters.
Travis has appeared before state appellate courts and the Ninth Circuit, United States Court of Appeals. He also has extensive experience with administrative agencies such as the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the National Labor Relations Board, and the United States Department of Labor.
- Trial counsel in numerous state and federal employment law matters including nationwide class actions, multi-party and single plaintiff discrimination, harassment, and whistleblower retaliation claims, as well as workplace violence/stalking prevention actions
- California labor and employment counsel to regional and nationwide employers in retail, manufacturing, technology, hospitality, and service industries
- Successfully argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to affirm preliminary injunction enforcing covenant not to compete
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law, 1994
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles Political Science, 1991
Bar AdmissionsState Bar of California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
Labor and Employment Law Section, State Bar of California
American Business Trial Lawyers Association and CA State Bar Labor & Employment Section.
Awards & Recognition
- Board Member, Hastings Moot Court, 1993-94
- Appellate and Trial Advocacy Programs, 1992-94
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review, AV Rating
- Selected as a Rising Star of Southern California Law 2005-08 by the publishers of Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazine
- Lecturer for Continuing Education of the Bar, Beverly Hills Association of Legal Administrators, Lorman Education Group, and "Lunch With Your Labor Lawyer" programs.
- Speaker, Recent Developments in Wage & Hour Law and Updates on the Employee Free Choice Act ("EFCA"), Northern California Hotel & Lodging Conference October 1, 2009, San Jose, California.
In my spare time I hike and bike.
I stay at JMBM because of the great clients and great co-workers.
My favorite city in the world is Paris.
Learn More About:
- ADA Compliance and Defense
- Ask the Hotel Lawyer™
- Buying & Selling a Hotel
- Chinese Investment
- Condo Hotels
- Data Technology, Privacy & Security
- EB-5 Financing
- Green Hotels
- Hotel Development
- Hotel Finance - Hotel Debt & Hotel Equity
- Hotel Franchise & License Agreements
- Hotel Management Agreements
- Hotel Mixed-Use
- How to Terminate Hotel Management Agreements
- Innkeepers Law
- International Hotel Investment
- Labor & Employment
- Land Use & Entitlements
- Lifestyle Hotels
- Meet The Money®
- Outlook & Trends
- Workouts, Bankruptcies & Receiverships